Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Baby Goodies...Do we really need ALL that?!?

I've been reading other blogs, facebook, and moma wedsites, and I've come to a conclusion....everyone and their Moma has an opinion about what you do and don't need for your teeny tiny baby...myself included! I know so many people who are about to have a baby or have a newborn at home. I think the "moma" in us all want to give out advice to maybe make the life of the new mother a little easier. Unfortunately, with all the different opinions, we may make a seemingly simple decision become a very difficult one, and there fore, stress out an already stressed out new mom. All advice is given with great intentions, but maybe, just maybe, the person you're advising may not have the same beliefs, habits, routines, wants, likes, and dislikes that  you have. SHOCKER! I have to remind myself of this all the time. I'm very bad about posting a comment on facebook, offering my 2 cents when I see an opportunity. Heck, I've got a few post out there now! But, I've gotten some self control, only posting 1/3 of the time. Still, that's probably too much. Nobody cares what I think. If they did, they would ask me directly! But, there are a few things that I feel super passionate about that I think are great for most babies and I'd hate for anyone to miss  out on them.

So, in light of my "opinions", I wanted to make a list of things I think are "must-haves" and things that are useless. Remember...these things are perfect for me, Keegan, Doug, and our situation. Hopefully, they could be useful to you and your little nugget as well.

1. Moby Wrap. This is by far the best thing I have. I've used the Baby Bjorn and didn't care for it. Moby's are the safest and most comfortable for you and baby. And they're the #1 recommended wrap/ carrier by pediatricians. It's perfect in crowds, warm and cold weather, and for mom and dad. I always feel sorry for the moms and dads I see walking around pushing this huge stroller through crowded sidewalks and  grocery stores all while carrying the baby. I just want to tell them...MOBY! You'll love it!

2. Aden + Anais Muslin Blankets. These blankets are the single best blankets to have in your nursery. They are hands down the best swaddle blankets, nursing cover, and tummy time blanket. They're made of cotton muslin and they are so soft and breathable it's ridiculous! The price of cotton has gone up so they are a little pricey...$49.50 for a 4-pack, but they're worth every penny. Target has recently started carrying them and they're a little cheaper there. I love them and give them as baby gifts to all the new momas I know!



3. Eddie Bower Travel Bed. This is one of those things I saw at Target and registered for not knowing if I would really use it. I used this more that anything else! I love it! It's a little miniature bed that folds flat and pops up in seconds. I used it on play dates, meetings, outside, out of town, all sorts of places. It's $30 and can be used to put your baby down for a nap where ever you are. I'll admit, Keegan's too big for it now, but it was like gold those first 6 months!

Keegan relaxing. He's about 5 weeks old here.
4. Medela Breast Pump. Ok, if you're going to be an avid breast feeder and will need to pump, go ahead and invest in a good pump. It will save you time, energy, and  your nipples. I promise. Plus, you can reuse it with each baby you have.

5. Nursing Bras and Shirts. It took a lot for me to spend money on these things, but they're worth it. When you're out in public, you want your breastfeeding experience to be un-noticed. It will be if you are wearing the proper clothing. Plus, while you're at home, you don't want to strip down every time you need to nurse...you'd stay naked all day!



Ok. Time for my "useless" list.

1. A huge wardrobe. You'll have people tell you that babies need a change of clothes like 5 times a day. Unless you are squirting food at your baby, that's not true. Even if your child leaks everywhere, it would be surprising if it happened more than a few times a week. And if it is, stop using cheap diapers.

2. Every toy from Target. Most children play with the same few toys all the time. Our house is teeny tiny and we have no room for lots of toys. Keegan has small stuff that he plays with, but his favorite toy is an old remote control. Go figure.

3. Shoes. Babies who are not walking should not wear hard soled shoes. It's bad for their little feet. They need to be able to stretch and move their feet and toes at all times. While it's cold, I put little "booties" on Keegan. They would snap on and stay on like shoes, but were soft and pliable like socks. Other great options are the Bobux brand.

4. Swings AND Bouncy Chairs. YES! I said it...get over it! I know some babies live in these for the first few months, but Keegan hated his swing. Don't buy a swing, bouncy chair, walker-play-thing. Just pick one. There's no reason to have five 3x5 ft. toys every where, unless your house is huge.

5. Multiple Piece Outfits. Unless you have an extremely laid back baby and all the time in the world to change diapers, I would stick with onsies, union suits, and rompers. There's no point in spending 20 minutes snapping up 5 different layers of clothing for each diaper change. And once your baby is rolling over, forget it. They'll never stay still long enough to finish! 

I hope this list of stuff will help you in your process of buying for your baby. And like I said, this is my opinion and other moms may think I'm crazy. Enjoy! :)

1 comment: