Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gettin' Groceries

Back when it was just me and my husband, I loved going to the grocery store. I loved cruising up and down the isles, reading labels, planning meals. Before Doug and I were married and moved to Charleston where we had great grocery stores, we would literally go on dates to the Publix on Lake Oconee. How sad, but Milledgeville had terrible grocery stores. Grocery shopping has always been sort of a pass-time for me. But, now when I'm going to the store, I'm always on a time frame, Keegan's time frame. And once you have a baby, it will take you at least an extra 20 minutes to shop..not because the baby slows you down, but because every old lady in the store wants to stop you, look at your baby, and ask the same questions over and over...boy or girl, how old, is he a good sleeper, what'd he weigh at birth....I swear, one of these days I'm just going to tape a sign with all the answers to the front of my buggy.

Now when I go shopping, I have a detailed plan. I'm going to share it with you! But, before I get started, I want to mention three key points: 1: If you're eating fresh food, you will be going to the store once a week. I promise, this will save you time, money, and your waist line. 2: Have a well stocked pantry full of staple items. Mine are garlic, onions, olive oil, pasta(variety), rice(variety), chicken stock, vinegars, canned tomatoes, canned beans, milk, and eggs. Check these items every week to see what needs to be replenished. 3. Have a sweet treat while you shop. This will prevent you from loading  your buggy with lots of crap. The Bakery/Deli is the first department in my Publix. I always get a cookie or apple strudel to snack on while I shop. And I never come home with a box of Oreos! A few calories now will save you lots of calories later.

Step 1~ Check your fridge and see what meats, produce, and dry goods you have and what is about to expire and be sure to incorporate those into step 2.

Step 2~ Plan your weekly menu. I go to the store every Monday. So, that morning or sometimes Sunday evening, Doug and I sit down and talk about what we want for lunch and dinner that week. This is not that difficult! My sister tells me all the time that she "just can not plan", but she's wrong. It takes us about 30 minutes to decide what we're eating that week. This will prevent you from walking in the door at 5 pm, hungry, tired, and end up ordering pizza.


Step 3~ Plan your meals so that your shopping list won't be too large or too wide of a variety. I plan all my meals so that I can use the same key ingredients through-out the week. You'll waste money if you're buying 5 different proteins, tons of different vegetables and herbs, and expensive specialty items. IE: If I'm craving mexican food that week, I know I'll need to buy peppers, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, tortillas, and protein. So instead of spending money on cilantro, peppers, tomatoes just for mexican, I may incorporate them into an Indian dish. My favorite is red curry. I almost always have curry paste and coconut milk on hand, but if I don't it's not that expensive. Throw in some veggies and brown rice, and you have a very quick and healthy meal. And then, to keep the theme of ingredients going, I may make a chili or pasta using all the same ingredients. You're having completely different meals but utilizing every item you have bought. And I usually only buy 1 protein a week, but we eat vegetarian a lot. Or sometimes I buy beef, chicken, or turkey, and then go get some really fresh shrimp or scallops, depending on my meal plan for the week.


Step 4~ Know how to write your grocery list. Don't just randomly list items. When I walk through my kitchen before I go shopping, I list everything I need to buy. Then I take two minutes and organize my list. I make three columns. 1. Meat and Dairy. 2. Dry Goods. 3. Produce. Most of your stores are laid out in this order as well. This step is critical to saving time! If you just list things as you need them, you'll end up all the way in the produce department realizing you have to run back across the store to grab some cheddar.


Step 5~ Carry a pen. Plain and simple. If you don't mark things off as you put them in your basket, you'll realize you forgot something once you've gotten home. I've even gone to customer service and asked to borrow a pen when I've forgotten one. It drives me crazy not to be able to mark my list off!


Step 6~ Budget. If you budget your money and stick to your menu items, you will save money. And you'll be eating healthier. You won't buy those box of cookies because they're not in your budget!



And just a few extra tips....stay on the perimeter of the store as much as possible. All the unhealthy food lurks on the isles. And, buy local as much as you can. We have amazing Farmer's Markets here, but I know a lot of cities don't. Check the labels. Try to only buy produce that was grown in the USA. And never, ever buy farm-raised seafood. I don't care how cheap it is. It's disgusting. You don't even want to know about it...gross. When you get home and start cooking your first meal of the week, take 10 extra minutes and wash all your fruits and veg. And if you need onion, garlic, whatever it may be, go ahead a chop it all the first time you need it. That way it will be ready to go for the next meal.

I hope these steps will lead you to a faster grocery trip. You'll be so organized that it won't matter how many old ladies stop to coo at your baby....you'll have plenty of time to drink up their complements!
Thanks for your time!


No comments:

Post a Comment